Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) and Thomas Equinas

This blog serves to chronicle my day to day struggles dealing with this metabolic disorder and how it effects my soon-to-be 13 year old dressage horse.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 40: Riding with Layers

It's still way too cold. The thermometer didn't get above 19° today (-7° C for you Canucks). I know a lot of people draw the line at 20 and say it's not good for the horse to ride when it's so cold. With this EPSM diagnosis I figure I'd better tough up and get out there- even if I just trot Tom around for a few minutes, that will be better than letting him stand all day.

Today I got to the barn at 4:15 p.m. I had layered on so many clothes I could barely move. When I zipped up my boots over my heavy socks and long johns my circulation was nearly cut off. Half way to the barn my legs were throbbing and I decided that might not be a good thing, so I pulled over and unzipped my boots, rearranged my socks (thank goodness for skinny ankles!) and proceeded.

When I started to ride I had double layers of mittens and gloves and I could barely feel the reins. Tom had on his wool quarter sheet and seemed pretty happy. I shed a layer of mittens about 15 minutes into the ride. By the end of 45 minutes I was able to work on canter transitions, trot shoulder in and a little bit of collection.

When I put him away and fed him his beet pulp and supplements, Thomas was happily eating a bite, then walking over to his open door and looking out to the paddock to see what his buddies were up to. He's really happy there. Very relaxed and content. Now if the weather would cooperate a little we'd be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment