Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) and Thomas Equinas

This blog serves to chronicle my day to day struggles dealing with this metabolic disorder and how it effects my soon-to-be 13 year old dressage horse.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 3 Pretty Tame

Tom went out again for the day and when I called him in he came barreling down the hill, popped a flying change from left to right (his hard way) and let out a big buck as if to say, "Look at me! I can do it!" Of course I was more worried about what else he was going to "pop" as he gullumphed down that steep hill.

Croup high, much?
I lunged him for 15 minutes today. Did 7 reps of the three trotting poles each way. There were no kids in pink snowsuits today, so he was pretty mellow. I had him do a couple of canters each way and he was so nice and quiet I decided to step it up a notch and ask for a walk to canter transition. he got them both directions, but fell out of canter into trot after about a circle. That's where his weakness shows. Canter is definitely hard. He tends to get croup high and will break to trot when I do things to try to make him sit more.

As I try to take note of everything that might be an indication of his comfort level, today he was very mouthy when I tightened the girth on the surcingle. This sensitivity definitely comes and goes. Some days he couldn't care less that I'm tightening things; other days he nearly bites my arm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment