Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) and Thomas Equinas

This blog serves to chronicle my day to day struggles dealing with this metabolic disorder and how it effects my soon-to-be 13 year old dressage horse.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 10: Ups and Downs?

Holy cow! Is that a draft horse? See what I mean by the oil putting   lard on him?
OK, so yesterday was a good day; today not so good. Maybe I overdid it? Today Tom was less than eager to go forward. Even on the lunge he was sticky and unenthusiastic. When I got on he seemed sound enough, but just not "willing". Some of the old cranky behaviors started to show through. Barb, my vet, said, "Exercise is the most important part of the treatment of EPSM" so I kept him going. And, as was the case all summer, he got better as I worked him. I kept him going for 45 minutes (including 15 minutes on the lunge). Little was asked of him- basically just trotting around the ring and 20m circles. We did canter a little, but he was resistant and sticky until he got to the long side and then he seemed to lighten up a little and move out a bit.
    This photo shocks me. He's generally not so "drafty". The oil is really making him big and round. I guess once his body learns how to utilize the fat in the oil, that will go away- I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment