Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) and Thomas Equinas

This blog serves to chronicle my day to day struggles dealing with this metabolic disorder and how it effects my soon-to-be 13 year old dressage horse.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 19: A Change in Schedule

The forecast wasn't sounding good for this afternoon, so I found some time this morning to ride. Thomas usually goes out all day and I ride him in the late afternoon after he's had the whole day to move around and get limbered up. Today I rode him before he had been out. It was OK. I walked him a little longer than I have been, and didn't push him too much in the first trot. Again, he was fussy with his head at first, but after 30 minutes he was steady, forward and trotting and cantering nicely. He did seem overly crooked today though. He felt permanently bent to the left. I could bend him right, but as soon as I released the aid, he'd pop back to the left. Lauren was riding Twist at the same time and we took them both for a 1 mile cool-out walk down the road then up the hill by our house. Lauren remarked at how much more Tom was tracking up with his left hind than his right. That makes sense with the left bend. That right hind just gets sort of left out behind. He was pretty quiet on the road, though. Maybe the magnesium supplement is helping with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment