Equine Polysaccharide Storage Myopathy (EPSM) and Thomas Equinas

This blog serves to chronicle my day to day struggles dealing with this metabolic disorder and how it effects my soon-to-be 13 year old dressage horse.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Day 24: Racing Stripes

I wrapped things up earlier this afternoon and headed over at 2:30. I put Tom on the cross ties, taped him up 'til he looked pretty, then went to work with my trusty clippers. There are times when Tom drives me crazy with his spooky, jumpy behavior, but then there are times when he shines, like today. He stood like a rock. (Maybe I had so much tape on him that he couldn't move.) Even in the ticklish areas. He didn't move a hoof. What a good boy!

It still took me almost two hours, and when I declared him "finished" I looked outside and the sun had gone down and the ring was starting to freeze. Drat! So I tacked him up quick and stuck him on the lunge for 20 minutes. He looked great. His new racing stripes camouflage his newly-added flubber and he looked sleek and elegant. He was even moving really well. I hope he doesn't freeze without his woolies. Poor guy. I always feel mean doing this to him. But he does sweat an awful lot and cooling him out can be very tedious.

No comments:

Post a Comment